Father James Tugwood
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1961-1967: St. Cecelia’s (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1968-1970: Christ the King High School (Middle Village, NY)
- 1971: Diocesan Task Force on Education and Prevention of Narcotic Addiction
- 1972: Catholic Charities Regional Managers (Astoria, NY)
- 1972-1973: Xaverian Brothers Community (Flushing, NY)
- 1974-1977: Catholic Charities Diocese of Brooklyn, including Catholic Youth Organization; Human Services; Catholic Big Brothers; Immigration; Homemaker Services; Child Care; Builders for the Family and Youth, Inc.; Neighborhood Youth Corp
- 1978-1983: St. Paul Residence Center (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1983-1988: Ministerial Development Program
- 1983-1986: St. Kevin’s (Queens, NY)
- 1987: Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1988-1999: Our Lady of the Snows (Queens, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegation against Father James Tugwood:
According to media reports, in February 2019, Fr. James Tugwood’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. According to the Diocese, the allegation against Tugwood was never found to be credible, but the claimant was allowed to participate in the Diocese’s Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program (‘IRCP’) and the IRCP found the allegation to be unsubstantiated.
The details of the allegation, including when and where the abuse occurred, are unknown.
Tugwood died in 1999.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.