Father James McSorley
Diocese of Oakland/Oblates
- 1955-1961: Oblate Mission (Lagao, Cotabato)
- 1961-1963: Oblate Mission House and Procure (Oakland, CA)
- 1963-1967: St. Ferdinand’s (San Fernando, CA)
- 1964-1965: St. Alice (Springfield, OR)
- 1967-1969: Oblate Mission House and Procure (Oakland, CA)
- 1971-1972: Sacred Heart (Boise, ID)
- 1972-1975: Our Lady of the Lake (McCall, ID)
- 1977-1978: Bishop O’Dowd High School (Oakland, CA)
- 1978-1979: St. Joseph’s (Pinole, CA)
- 1979-1981: Holy Cross (Santa Cruz, CA)
- 1981-1982: St. Mary’s (Aberdeen, WA)
- 1982-1983: Little Flower (Billings, MT)
- 1983-1985: Nativity (Hollywood, FL)
- 1984-1986: St. Thomas Center (Bothell, WA)
- 1985-2005: Oblate Mission House and Procure (Oakland, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father James McSorley:
A Philippines missionary of 15 years, James P. McSorley moved back to the US in the early 1960s. He started at the Diocese of Oakland and moved to the Diocese of Monterey, CA, then Boise City, ID, Great Falls-Billings, MT, and Archdioceses of Los Angeles CA, Portland OR, Seattle WA, Miami FL, and as an Army chaplain in Germany.
According to media reports, in a 2002 lawsuit, McSorley was accused of molesting a boy in 1964 at St. Alice’s in Springfield, OR. He was also accused of abuse in the 1960s while in Germany. The Archdiocese of Portland paid $100K to settle a claim in 2003. In 2018, a man told reporters that McSorley molested him and other boys at Sacred Heart in Boise from 1971-1972. He said he reported it to the Diocese of Boise in 1993 and again in 2000, but they never contacted the police.
His name was included on the Seattle Archdiocese’s list of credibly accused in 2016 and on the Diocese of Oakland list and Diocese of Boise’s list in 2019.
In 2003, McSorley was moved to the Mercy Retirement and Care Center in Oakland, where he died in 2005.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in California, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.