Father John Close
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Suspended from ministry: 2011
Assigned as follows:
- 1969-1972: Christ the King (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1971-1972: Serra Club of (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1972: Saint John the Evangelist (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1972-1984: Cardinal O’Hara High School (Springfield, PA)
- 1982-1987: Sisters of Saint Francis, Assisi House (Aston, PA)
- 1984-1987: Saint James Catholic High School for Boys (Chester, PA)
- 1987-1990: Saint Pius X High School (Pottstown, PA)
- 1987-1990: Saint Mary of Providence Center (Elverson, PA)
- 1990-1994: Wood High School (Warminster, PA)
- 1991-1994: Regina Coeli Residence for Priests (Warminster, PA)
- 1994-1996: Saint Michael the Archangel (Levittown, PA)
- 1996-2000: Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary (Overbrook, PA)
- 1997-2011: Legatus, Philadelphia Chapter(Philadelphia, PA)
- 2000-2006: Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2011: Placed on administrative leave
Summary of Allegations Against Father John Close:
Father John Close was ordained a priest in 1969 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, in March 2011 he was one of 21 priests placed on administrative leave, pending an investigation into allegations involving sexual abuse or inappropriate behavior with minors. The suspensions came shortly after the release of the second grand jury report, which identified more than 30 priests in active ministry who had been accused of sexual misconduct.
As of June 2011, there were two known accusers, both male and both who claimed that Father Close had sexually abused them as young teens, one in 1969, the other from 1992-1994. Father Close denied the allegations. One of the victims claims that he had tried to report the abuse to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 1998, but they did not respond to his call. Both accusers said they reported the abuse to police, but were told that Father Close could not be investigated due to the statute of limitations. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia internal review board deemed all of the allegations unsubstantiated and he was returned to ministry.
Father close died in March 2018.
Contact us today.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.