Father John Hewetson (Franciscan Friar)
Archdiocese of Newark
Assigned as follows:
- 1930-1933 Our Lady of Victories (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1934-1939 St. Cecilla (Rockaway, NJ)
- 1940-1942 St. Joseph (Paterson, NJ)
- 1943-1944 St. Bartholomew (Lafayette, NJ); St. James the Apostle (Montague, NJ); St. Thomas the Apostle (Hainesville, NJ)
- 1945-1950 St. Joseph (Lincoln Park, NJ)
- 1951-1952 St. Joseph (Newton, NJ)
- 1953 St. George (Paterson, NJ)
- 1953-1954 St. Vincent de Paul (Stirling, NJ)
- 1955-1963 St. Joseph (Mendham, NJ)
- 1964-1966 St. Michael (Netcong, NJ)
- 1967 St. Paul (Clifton, NJ)
- 1968-1972 Absent on Leave
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Hewetson:
Father John Hewetson was ordained a Franciscan priest in 1930 and served in the Archdiocese of Newark. He was St. Joseph’s first pastor, and served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, in 1968, he took a leave of absence. He retired in 1973 and died in February 1987.
In February 2019, Father Hewetson’s name first appeared publicly on the Diocese of Albany’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. It noted multiple allegations, but did not provide any information on the allegations regarding age/gender of the victims.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused in the Archdiocese of Newark, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.