Father Michael Garry
Diocese of Trenton
Absent on Leave: 1940-1944
Absent on Leave: 1947-1950
Assigned as follows:
- 1944-1947 St. Elizabeth’s (Linden, NJ)
- 1950-1955 St. Denis (Manasquan, NJ)
- 1950-1953 Station (Sea Grit, NJ)
- 1950-1955 Station (Brielle, NJ)
- 1950-1955 Summer Chapel (Manasquan Beach, NJ)
- 1955-1957 St. James the Less (Jamesburg, NJ)
- 1955-1957 St. Cecilia’s (Monmouth Junction, NJ)
- 1955-1957 Station (Prospect Plains, NJ)
- 1955-1957 State Home for Boys (Jamesburg, NJ)
- 1957-1959 St. Magdalene de Pazzi (Flemington, NJ)
- 1959-1960 St. Mark’s (Sea Girt, NJ)
- 1960-1960 St. Francis of Assisium (Trenton, NJ)
- 1960-1962 Ascension (Bradley Beach, NJ)
- 1962-1968 St. Jude’s (Blairstown, NJ)
- 1968-1981 St. Jerome’s (West Long Branch, NJ)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Michael Garry:
While serving at St. Mark’s in Sea Girt, New Jersey for the Diocese of Trenton, Fr. Michael Garry repeatedly sexually assaulted and stalked an 11-year-old female parishioner, according to media reports. According to media reports, the abuse carried on for three years throughout the 1950s and early 1960s. The victim was one of seven children from an alcoholic household who had developed an affinity for Garry. He spoke with her and listened to her troubles. She was a vulnerable child whom he took advantage of in the church rectory, school hallways, and multiple assaults in his car.
According to her allegation, after Garry’s reassignment to a different church the priest continued to stalk the girl. One day he tracked her to a local coffee shop where she and a group of girlfriends were waiting for the bus. Garry offered to give the girls a ride. Fearing for the safety of her friends, the victim in question found the courage to say no and never saw Garry again.
Garry served the Diocese of Sacramento, as well as the Newark Archdiocese before his time with the Diocese of Trenton. He may have begun his career as a Benedictine priest.
In February 2019, the Trenton Diocese recently released a list of priests with credible allegations of child sexual abuse against them. Garry’s name does NOT appear on that list, and the reason for his omission is unclear.
Garry died in 1988.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Trenton in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New Jersey, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Trenton now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.