Fr. Michael Hurley
Diocese of Baton Rouge
Assigned as Follows:
- 1943-1953: St. Peter and Paul (New Orleans, LA)
- 1953-1961: Saint Leo Catholic Church (Chicago, IL)
- 1961-1963: All Saints Catholic Church (Tucson, AZ)
- 1963-1969: Saint Simon and Jude Church (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1969-1971: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (Tempe, AZ)
- 1971-1974: St. Margaret Mary Church (Bullhead City, AZ)
- 1974-1976: St. Clement of Rome Church (Sun City, AZ)
- 1976-2002: St. Cecilia Mission Catholic Church (Clarkdale, AZ)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Michael Hurley:
Father Michael Hurley was ordained a priest in 1943, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Baton Rouge. According to media reports, he was first named publicly as accused of sexual abuse of a minor on the Archdiocese of New Orleans list in November 2018. The list notes that the allegation was received in 1945 of abuse in the 1940s. It also notes that he left the archdiocese in 1955. The Archdiocese of New Orleans did not release any information about the location the alleged abuse occurred at or the age/gender of the victim who came forward.
Father Hurley died in August of 2005. He was working in Clarkdale, Arizona where he had been the pastor of St. Cecilia Mission Church at his time of his death.
His name has also been included on the Baton Rouge diocese’s list of accused clergy members as of early 2019.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Louisiana, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge may now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Louisiana and nationwide. We can help.