Father Paul G. Spisak Diocese of PittsburghOrdained: May 1973 Removed from ministry: May 2003
Assigned as follows:
- 5/22/1973-10/01/1978: St. Mary of the Mount, Pittsburgh, PA
- 10/02/1978-10/05/1980: St. Benedict the Abbot, McMurray, PA
- 10/06/1980-11/19/1981: Sacred Heart, Pittsburgh, PA
- 11/20/1981-6/29/1990: St. Dominic, Donora, PA
- 6/25/1988-6/29/1990: St. Charles, Donora, PA
- 6/30/1990-2/07/1994: St. Philip, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2/07/1994-2/12/1997: St. Andrew, Butler, PA
- 2/16/1998-10/26/1998: St. Mary, Cecil, PA
- 7/03/2000-7/11/2002: Chaplain Nursing Home, Allison Park, PA
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Paul G. Spisak:In October 1998, parish staff from St. Dominic reported Father Paul G. Spisak to the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Parish staff had found pornographic magazines, tapes and internet material in Spisak's room that depicted homosexual and sadomasochistic activity. There were also several pictures of Spisak with two different underage boys including pictures of the boys showing their buttocks and pictures of Spisak pulling down his swim trunks and pulling down the boy's pants. According to the staff, Spisak allegedly destroyed these pictures of the boys, who were estimated to be 15 years old. Spisak wrote staff a note that month indicating that he would be going to St. Luke Institute for evaluation but wanted to reassure her that he "hadn't done anything wrong in the past or in the present." The secretary advised that Spisak had always shown a particular interest in her son and had taken him on vacation many years earlier. She stated that she felt uncomfortable about the attention he gave her son and that her son would often leave their house when Spisak was expected to arrive. Spisak was interviewed by the Diocese of Pittsburgh with respect to the pornography and pictures that were found. The records indicated that Spisak denied ever having any sexual contact with minors or adults but did admit that he had been struggling with the problem of viewing pornography for several years. Further, he did admit to taking several young men of high school age on vacation with him during his time in Donora sometime between 1981 and 1990. When asked about the photographs that were seen by the parish housekeeper, Spisak stated they were taken years ago during these vacations and that the photographs were very innocent and "just for fun."
The Diocese of Pittsburgh Expresses Concerns Over SpisakIn a letter from the Diocese of Pittsburgh to Wuerl pertaining to Spisak' s evaluation the findings were recounted as follows:
- Spisak has both sexual and interpersonal issues that are significant enough to warrant residential treatment.
- Spisak was diagnosed as having a sexual disorder that is compulsive in nature and is currently manifested in his use of porn.
- Spisak shows a significant interest in grade school age males and his interest in one of the boys pictured in a photo found in the rectory began when the boy was in 7th or 8th grade.