Monsignor Pearse P. Donovan
Diocese of Oakland
Assigned as follows:
- 1944 St. Augustine’s (Oakland, CA)
- 1945 St. Ambrose’s (Berkeley, CA)
- 1946 St. Gregory’s (San Mateo, CA)
- 1947-1952 Serra High School for Boys (San Mateo, CA)
- 1953-1955 Marin Catholic High School (San Rafael, CA)
- 1956-1964 Bishop O’Dowd High School (Oakland, CA)
- 1963-1965 School Board; Schools (Oakland, CA)
- 1963-1972 Catholic High Schools Federation; Catholic Parent Teacher Groups (Oakland, CA)
- 1965-1978 Corpus Christi (Piedmont, CA)
- 1966-1972 Building Committee; Education (Oakland, CA)
- 1974-1976 Diocesan-Senate Consultors (Oakland, CA)
- 1977-1978 Unknown
- 1979- 1980 St. Clement (Hayward, CA)
- 1981-1982 St. Albert (Alameda, CA)
- 1983-1985 Sick Leave
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Pearse P. Donovan:
Monsignor Pearse P. Donovan was ordained for the Diocese of San Francisco in 1943. He served as the diocese’s superintendent of schools from 1963 to 1972. He was a friend of Bishop Emeritus John Cummins. The two first met as high school seminarians in 1943 and later served together at Bishop O’Dowd High School in Oakland and at Corpus Christi parish in Piedmont. From 1963 to 1972, he was the superintendent of the schools in the Diocese of Oakland.
According to media reports, in a 2003 child sex abuse lawsuit, Bishop Cummins testified in a deposition that in 1978, Monsignor Donovan was sent to two treatment centers for alcoholism. That same year, he allegedly began repeatedly molesting a boy at St. Clement and later “passed him on” to an abusive Holy Cross brother, Lawrence O’Brien, at Hayward’s Moreau High School. The abuse continued until 1981. He was removed from ministry/retired in 1983 and died in 1986. In 2019, his name appeared on the Diocese of Oaklands’ list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in California State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Oakland and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.