Father Robert Ryan
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Assigned as follows:
- 1948-1956: St. Dorothy’s Church (Drexel Hill, PA)
- 1957: Holy Saviour Church (Linwood, PA)
- 1958-1966: Holy Cross Church (Springfield, PA)
- 1963: Roman Catholic High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1964-1973: Cardinal O’Hara High School (Springfield, PA)
- 1967-1975: St. Louis Church (Yeadon, PA)
- 1974-1975: Roman Catholic High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1976-1994: St. Gertrude Church (West Conshohocken, PA)
- 1995-1996: “Retired” – in residence at St. Gertrude Church (West Conshohocken, PA)
- 1997-2005: “Retired” – in residence at St. Gabriel’s Hall (Audubon, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Robert Ryan:
Father Robert Ryan was ordained a priest in 1947 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, he was accused of sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy on two occasions from approximately 1962 to 1963. At the time of the alleged abuse, Father Ryan was assigned to Holy Cross Church in Springfield, Pennsylvania, and the boy was an altar boy at the church and a student at the nearby Holy Cross School.
Details of the abuse which occurred inside Holy Cross School included Father Ryan forcing the boy to remove all of his clothing for the priest. Father Ryan then whipped the boy’s bare back and buttocks with a leather belt multiple times. Afterwards, Father Ryan put his hands on the whipped parts of the boy’s body.
The claim settled in 2020 in the low five figures. Father Ryan died in December 2005.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.