Monsignor Raymond Stegman
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1951-1957: St. Boniface (Elmont, NY)
- 1958-1959: Cure of Ars, St. John M. Vianney (Merrick, NY)
- 1960-1966: St. Mary of the Isle (Long Beach, NY)
- 1967-1969: Maria Regina High School (Uniondale, NY)
- 1970-1972: St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary (Uniondale, NY)
- 1973-1975: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Lindenhurst, NY)
- 1976-1978: Holy Trinity High School (Hicksville, NY)
- 1979-1992: St. Gertrude’s (Bayville, NY)
- 1993: Retired; St. Pius X (Uniondale, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Raymond Stegman:
Msgr. Raymond Stegman was ordained a priest in the Diocese of Brooklyn in 1950. According to media reports, in 2003, he was named as a child sexual abuser in a lawsuit filed against the Diocese of Rockville Centre and numerous priests after the release of the Grand Jury report. He was accused of repeatedly fondling and sodomizing a 17-year-old sacristan from Notre Dame Parish in New Hyde Park, New York while working in the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s business office in the 1970s. The abuse allegedly took place in hotels, at St. Gertrude’s in Bayville where Stegman was a pastor, and at the priest’s mother’s house.
In February 2019, his name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Stegman retired in 1993 and died in 2000.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.