Fr. Robert Potts
Diocese of Allentown
Removed: October 2019
Reinstated: August 2020
Assigned as follows:
- 1964 – 1965: Immaculate Conception (Jim Thorpe, PA)
- 1965 – 1966: St. Joseph (Easton, PA)
- 1966 – 1967: St. Vincent de Paul (Minersville, PA)
- 1967 – 1969: St. Ann (Lansford, PA)
- 1969 – 1970: Notre Dame (Bethlehem, PA)
- 1970 – 1978: St. Vincent de Paul (Minersville, PA)
- 1978 – 1979: St. Bernard (Easton, PA)
- 1979 – 1985: Sacred Heart (New Philadelphia, PA)
- 1985 – 2004: St. George (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1986 – 2004: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Shenandoah, PA)
- 2001 – 2004: St. Stephen (Shenandoah, PA)
- 2004 – 2006: St. Mary, Ringtown and St. Joseph (Sheppton, PA)
- 2006-Present: St. Ursula (Fountain Hill, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Robert Potts:
Fr. Robert Potts was ordained a priest in 1964, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, in October 2019, the Diocese announced that he was removed from ministry pending investigation of an allegation that he had sexually abused a minor in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
The allegation was made to the administrators of the Diocese of Allentown’s Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program, who then notified the Diocese. The Diocese of Allentown claimed that it had no prior knowledge of the allegation until being notified by program administrators. The abuse allegedly occurred when Father Potts was pastor of the former St. George Parish, Shenandoah.
In August 2020, Potts was returned to ministry on recommendation of the diocesan Review Board, after a diocesan investigation determined that Potts “did not commit the acts that were alleged.”
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.