Fr. Robert J. Potts
Diocese of Allentown
Removed: October 2019
Reinstated: August 2020
Assigned as follows:
- Immaculate Conception, Jim Thorpe 1964 – 1965
- St. Joseph, Easton 1965 – 1966
- St. Vincent de Paul, Minersville 1966 – 1967
- St. Ann, Lansford 1967 – 1969
- Notre Dame, Bethlehem 1969 – 1970
- St. Vincent de Paul, Minersville 1970 – 1978
- St. Bernard, Easton 1978 – 1979
- Sacred Heart, New Philadelphia 1979 – 1985
- St. George, Shenandoah 1985 – 2004
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Shenandoah 1986 – 2004
- St. Stephen, Shenandoah 2001 – 2004
- St. Mary, Ringtown and St. Joseph, Sheppton 2004 – 2006
- St. Ursula, Fountain Hill 2006-Present
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Robert J. Potts:
In October 2019, the Diocese of Allentown announced that Father Robert J. Potts, pastor of St. Ursula Church, Fountain Hill (Bethlehem), was removed from ministry pending investigation of an allegation that he sexually abused a minor in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
The allegation was made to the administrators of the Diocese of Allentown’s Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program, who then notified the Diocese. The Diocese of Allentown claimed that it had no prior knowledge of the allegation until being notified by program administrators.
The abuse allegedly occurred when Father Potts, now 82, was pastor of the former St. George Parish, Shenandoah.
In August 2020, the Bishop of Allentown announced that he was returning Potts to active ministry after the Diocese conducted an internal investigation into the allegation.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com today.