Father Howard Melzer
Diocese of San Bernardino/Sacred Heart
- 1959-1960: Sacred Heart Monastery (Hales Corners, WI)
- 1961: St. Joseph’s Indian School (Chamberlain, SD)
- 1962-1965: Sacred Heart Monastery (Hales Corners, WI)
- 1966-1967: St. Joseph’s Novitiate (Baileys Harbor, WI)
- 1968: Sacred Heart (Dupree, SD)
- 1969-1971: Sacred Heart (Walls, MI)
- 1972-1976: St. Cecilia (San Antonio, TX)
- 1977-1980: St. Matthew (Corona, CA)
- 1981-1985: St. Joseph (Brazoria, TX)
- 1986-1988: Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (Franklin, WI)
- 1989-1994: St. James (Chamberlain, SD)
- 1995 St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Houston, TX)
- 1996-1997: St. Francis Residence (Franklin, WI)
- 1998-2000: Christ the Redeemer (Houston, TX)
- 2001: Unknown
- 2002-2003: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Houston, TX)
- 2004-2009: Villa Maria Health and Rehabilitation Center (Franklin, WI)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Howard Melzer:
Fr. Howard Melzer was accused of sexually abusing a child in approximately 1976 to 1980. According to the Diocese of San Bernardino, Fr. Melzer was assigned to St. Matthew in Corona at the time of the abuse. The details of the sexual abuse allegations, including the victim’s age/gender, is unknown.
The Diocese learned of the allegation in 1993 but did not inform police until 2002. Fr. Melzer was included in the Diocese of San Bernardino’s 2018 list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. Fr. Melzer died in 2009 at the age of 78.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of San Bernardino, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.