Brother Samuel Cabot
Archdiocese of Los Angeles (Franciscan)
- 1954-1956: Cas de Paz Y Bien Retreat (Scottsdale, AZ)
- 1957-1958: Old Mission San Luis Rey (San Diego, CA)
- 1958-1959: Old Mission San Miguel (San Miguel, CA)
- 1959-1961: Old Mission San Luis Rey (San Diego, CA)
- 1971-1972: St. Anthony’s Retreat (Three Rivers, CA)
- 1972-1979: Old Mission Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1979-1984: Novitiate (Oakland, CA)
- 1985-1987: St. Joseph’s (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1961-1962: Old Mission San Miguel (San Miguel, CA)
- 1962-1968: Old Mission San Luis Rey (San Diego, CA)
- 1987-2018: Serra Retreat (Malibu, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Brother Samuel Cabot:
Br. Samuel Cabot was ordained a Franciscan priest in 1954, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, in 2002, he was removed from public ministry at the Sierra Retreat House in Malibu, California, when three lawsuits were filed naming him as sexually abusing minors. The alleged abuse occurred from 1977 to 1985. The details of the sexual abuse allegations, including where the alleged abuse occurred, or the victim’s age/gender, are unknown.
According to records, the Franciscans released Br. Cabot’s personnel file in 2012. His file showed that he worked in multiple states, including Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Guaymas, Mexico. As of 1995, Br. Cabot was believed to be living in Malibu, California until he was removed in 2002. Br. Cabot died in 2019. His clerical status, whereabouts, and whether he had access to children from 2002 until his death in 2019, are unknown.
Br. Cabot was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. In 2019, he was included in the Franciscan Friars Province of Santa Barbara’s “List of Franciscan Friars from the St. Barbara Province with Credibly Claims of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today