Father James Gormley (Jesuit)
Diocese of Scranton
Assigned as follows:
- 1948-1951 Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1956-1959 Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1959-1960 St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1960-1965 Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues (Wernersville, PA)
- 1965-1972 St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1973-1975 Georgetown Preparatory School (N. Bethesda, MD)
- 1975-1981 St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1982-1983 Holy Rosary Catholic Academy (San Bernadino, CA)
- 1983-1985 Waldron Academy (Merion Station, PA)
- 1985-1993 Holy Child Infirmary and School (Rosemont, PA)
- 1993-1997 Wheeling Jesuit University (Wheeling, WV)
- 1998-1999 St. Jude Church (Radford, VA)
- 1999-2000 Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Richmond, VA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father James Gormley:
Father James Gormley served at Scranton Prep in the 1940s and 1950s. He was then transferred throughout Pennsylvania and the country until 2000. He died in 2005. According to media reports, in December 2018, Father Gormley was named publicy on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors..
In October 2019, Father James Gormley’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Scranton’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors, as well as on the Diocese of Richmond’s list.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Scranton, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.