Father Sean Leo Rooney
Archdiocese of New York
Assigned as follows:
- 1959-1968 St. Dominic Savio High School (Boston, MA)
- 1968-1971 Salesian Day High School for Boys; Salesian Junior Seminary; Camp Salesian for Boys; Salesian Retreat House for Boys; Salesian Boys Club, (Cedar Lake, IN)
- 1971-1975 Don Bosco Technical High School (Paterson, NJ)
- 1975-1979 Archbishop Shaw High School (Marrero, LA)
- 1979-1981 Salesian Junior Seminary (Goshen, NY)
- 1981-1983 Don Bosco High School for Boys (Ramsey, NJ)
- 1983-2003 St. John Bosco (Birmingham, AL)
- 1983-2003 Holy Rosary (Birmingham, AL)
- 2003-2012 Salesian Provincial House (New Rochelle, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Sean Leo Rooney:
Father Sean Leo Rooney was ordained a priest of the Salesians of Don Bosco. He served in the Boston, Gary, Paterson, New Orleans, New York, Newark, and Birmingham (arch)dioceses during his 50-year career. He was laicized in 2008, but his name is listed in the Official Catholic Directory for another four years.
According to media reports, in December 2013, Father Rooney was accused in a lawsuit of repeatedly sexually abusing a 14-year-old male student in 1980, at Salesian Junior Seminary in Goshen, where Father Rooney was a theology and physics teacher. The alleged abuse included removing the boy’s clothing, touching and fondling the boy’s naked buttocks and genitals skin-on-skin, and masturbating on the boy on multiple occasions at the seminary and during a school bus trip to Sacred Heart Retreat House in Ipswich, Massachusetts. A settlement was reached in 2014
In February 2020, Father Rooney was accused in a lawsuit of sexually abusing a 13-year-old male Don Bosco Technical High student more than 100 times from 1973 to 1975 at the school. He was a chemistry teacher and soon after the boy enrolled, he began “grooming him and giving him special treatment,” and gave the boy alcohol and showed him pornography, the suit said.
His current whereabouts and are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in New York State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of New York now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.