Father Stephen C. Hernandez
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Assigned as follows:
- 1982-1983 St. Alphonsus (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1983-1984 Santa Clara Church; Santa Clara High School (Vice Principal), (Oxnard, CA)
- 1985 Incardinated in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- 1985-1986 St. Stephen (Monterey Park, CA)
- 1985-1986 Cantwell High School (Montebello (Principal)
- 1986-1990 Our Lady Queen of Angels Seminary (San Fernando, CA)
- 1990-1992 St. Genevieve Parish; St. Genevieve High School (Van Nuys, CA)
- 1992-1993 St. Stephen (Monterey Park, CA)
- 1993-1997 St. Camillus de Lellis (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1997-1999 Our Lady of Guadalupe (Rose Hill, CA)
- 1999 Retired
- 2000-2020 Unknown
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Stephen C. Hernandez:
Father Stephen C. Hernandez was incardinated in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 1985. According to media reports, in October 2003, he was named in a civil lawsuit alleging he sexaully abused a girl at Santa Clara in Oxnard in the 1970s. In December 2003, he was named in another civil lawsuit alleging he repeatedly sexaully abused a teenage boy from 1998 to 2002 when he worked as a counselor at Eastlake Juvenile Hall. The alleged abuse occurred at the boy’s family home and at the priest’s residence at Our Lady of Guadalupe. He retired in 1999 and was placed on leave in April 2002.
Father Hernandez was arrested in June 2004 on a misdemeanor charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. In January 2006, he was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to stay away from children. He attempted suicide in 2006 when he found out he had been investigated for alleged child sexual abuse four years earlier. His name appeared on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in California State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Los Angeles and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.