Father Stephen Garrity
Diocese of Raleigh/Jesuits
Assigned as Follows:
- 1970-1971 Gonzaga College High School (Washington, D.C.)
- 1971-1979 St. Joseph’s Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1978-1982 Loyola Center at St. Joseph’s University (Baltimore, MD)
- 1985-1991 Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1991-2001 Loyola on the Potomac Retreat House (Faulkner, MD)
- 2001-2004 North Carolina Central University (Durham, NC)
- 2001-2007 Holy Cross (Durham, NC)
- 2007-2008 Jesuit Fathers and Brothers Provincial Curia (Baltimore, MD)
- 2008-2011 Jesuit Center – Jesuit Community (Wernersville, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Stephen Garrity:
Stephen Garrity was ordained a priest of the Jesuits’ Maryland Province in 1970. He was assigned to high schools in the Washington DC area, as well as in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Scranton.
Garrity was placed on leave in 2007 after admitting to having had “inappropriate sexual contact” with five young adults. The abuse occurred in the 1970’s and 1980’s, when the victims were 18-23 ages. He simply received therapy for his actions.
In 2013, Garrity was accused of molesting a male high school student in the 1970’s at St. Joseph’s Prep School in Philadelphia. He was then sent to a monitored Jesuit community in Philadelphia.
Garrity died in 2014.
His name appears on Maryland Province Jesuits’ list of accused priests as of December 2018. It notes multiple accusations against him. His name has also been added to the Baltimore Archdiocese’s list, along with Raleigh’s list as well. The Diocese of Raleigh notes another abuse allegation relating to events that occured in 1970, which was reported in 2018.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in North Carolina, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 (or toll-free at (888) 283-9922). Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.