Brother Thomas (Benedict Joseph) Kelly
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1934-1938: St. Mary’s Industrial School (Baltimore, MD)
- 1939-1941: St. Patrick (Lowell, MA)
- 1942: St. Teresa (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1943: Holy Name School (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1944-1949: St. Mary’s Industrial School (Baltimore, MD)
- 1950-1957: Flaget High School (Louisville, KY)
- 1958-1959: Mt. Loretto (Staten Island, NY)
- 1960-1961: Holy Name School (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1962-1967: Leonard Hall (Leonardtown, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother Thomas (Benedict Joseph) Kelly:
Br. Thomas (Benedict Joseph) Kelly was a member of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier. According to media reports, in 2019, his name appeared publicly on the Xaverian Brothers’ list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors. It noted that in 1995, an allegation was reported that Kelly had sexually abused at least one minor in 1945, in Baltimore. Kelly was named on the Archdiocese of Baltimore list of priests and brothers credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
From 1973 to 1976, Kelly was reportedly in nursing care in Baltimore. His status as a brother and access to children from when he retired in 1968 until his death in 1976 is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.