Father Vincent O’Connell
Diocese of Fresno/Marist
- 1940 Unknown
- 1941-1951 Notre Dame Seminary (New Orleans, LA)
- 1952-1958 Church of St. Louis (St. Paul, MN)
- 1959 Chanel High School (Bedford, OH)
- 1960-1962 The Marist College (Washington, DC)
- 1963-1967 Notre Dame Seminary (New Orleans, LA)
- 1966-1967 St. Joseph Manor (Bettendorf, IA)
- 1968 Holy Innocents (Neptune, NJ)
- 1969 Marist Provincial House (Washington, DC)
- 1970 Immaculata Seminary (Lafayette, LA)
- 1971-1976 480 Northfield Rd. (Bedford, OH)
- 1977-1981 Holy Name of Mary (New Orleans, LA)
- 1982-1992 Marist Collegiate Community (New Orleans, LA)
- 1993-1994 Unknown
- 1995-1998 Marist Provincial House (Washington DC)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Vincent O’Connell:
Fr. Vincent O’Connell was an Irish priest ordained a priest of the Society of Mary. In 2003, after reading a magazine story on priest sexual abuse, a survivor came forward to accuse Fr. O’Connell of child sexual abuse in 1970 while he was working at St. Anthony of Padua in Fresno, California.
The female survivor was 16 years old at the time of the abuse and alleges she reported the rape to a parish deacon and priest in her local diocese. Her father died suddenly, and Fr. O’Connell spent a lot of time with her family before the abuse occurred. After no action was ever taken, but she filed a civil lawsuit against the Archdiocese of San Francisco in 2013. He returned to Ireland, where he lived in a home for retired priests of the Holy Ghost Fathers in Dublin until his death in 1999.
In 2012, the same woman filed a separate suit against the Archdiocese of San Francisco for not doing anything when told of the abuse in 2003.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Fresno in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Fresno now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us toll-free at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.