Father Wilfred (Wilfrid) DesRosiers
Diocese of Lafayette (Josephite)
Assigned as follows:
- 1955: Corpus Christi Church (New Orleans, LA)
- 1956: Professor at College Saint Augustin (New Orleans, LA)
- 1957-1958: St. Luke Catholic Church (Washington D.C.)
- 1958-1961: Holy Family Church (Lawtell, LA)
- 1961-1962: Holy Redeemer Catholic Church (Washington D.C.)
- 1962-1965: St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (Houston, TX)
- 1965: St. Pius V Catholic Church (Baltimore, MD)
- 1966-1967 St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (Baltimore, MD)
- 1967-1972 Pastor at Shrine of Our Mother of Mercy (Rayne, LA)
- 1973-1975 Asst. at Our Mother of Mercy (Beaumont, TX)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Wilfred DesRosiers:
Fr. Wilfred DesRosiers was ordained a Josephite priest in 1955, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Lafayette. According to media reports, in 2002, Bishop Edward O’Donnell of the Diocese of Lafayette announced that he had received four allegations of child sexual abuse in the 1960’s-1970’s against Fr. DesRosiers. The alleged abuse occurred when Fr. DesRosiers was a pastor at Shrine of Our Mother of Mercy in Rayne, LA. The alleged victims, who were all children at the time of the abuse, notified the Society of St. Joseph, of which DesRosiers is a member. The Josephites launched an investigation and offered counseling to the victims. Bishop O’Donnell appointed a priest to assist in the investigation.
There are two spellings listed for Fr. DesRosiers first name: Wilfred and Wilfrid.
Fr. DesRosiers died in 2012.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Lafayette in Louisiana. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Louisiana, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Lafayette may now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Louisiana and nationwide. We can help.