Monsignor William B. O’Brien
Archdiocese of New York
Assigned as follows:
- 1951: St. Patrick’s (New York, NY)
- 1952-1956: Most Precious Blood (Walden, NY)
- 1957-1961: St. Patrick’s (New York, NY)
- 1962-1964: Our Lady of the Assumption (Bronx, NY)
- 1965-1966: St. Francis De Sales (New York, NY)
- 1967: Catholic Students’ Center at New York University (New York, NY)
- 1967-1969: Archdiocesan Office and Directors Education Secretary (New York, NY)
- 1970-1972: Commission on Parish Councils (New York, NY)
- 1972-2000: St. Brendan’s (Bronx, NY)
- 1992-2001: On Duty Outside of the Archdiocese
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor William B O’Brien:
Msgr. William B O’Brien, a co‑founder of Daytop Village, one of the first and most successful residential drug and alcohol treatment programs in the United States, earned worldwide recognition and appreciation for his pioneering work in this field. He was also co-founder of the World Federation of Therapeutic Communities which he guided into a global movement establishing treatment programs in countries throughout the world. He was a trusted adviser to heads of state, as well as to His Holiness Pope John Paul II.
In April 2019, O’Brien’s name appeared on the Archdiocese of New York’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. The details of the allegations, including when and where the abuse occurred, are unknown. Claims against him are eligible to be settled through the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program (IRCP).
O’Brien retired in 2002 and died in 2014.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in New York State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of New York now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.