Father William Cahill
Diocese of Albany
Assigned as follows:
- 1946-1947: Weston College (Weston, MA)
- 1947-1949: Fairfield College Prep. High School (Fairfield, CT)
- 1949-1950: (Auriesville, NY)
- 1950-1960: Cheverus High School (Portland, ME)
- 1960-1962: St. Robert’s Hall (Pomfret, CT)
- 1960-1962: St. Bernard’s (Fitchburg, MA)
- 1962-1964: St. Mary’s (Boston, MA)
- 1964-1966: Boston College High School (Boston, MA)
- 1967-1972: Immaculate Conception (Boston, MA)
- 1967-1972: Boston City Hospital (Boston, MA)
- 1971-1972: Weston College (Mt. Clemens, MA)
- 1972-1977: St. Joseph’s Hospital (Mt. Clemens, MI)
- 1977-1978: Veterans’ Administration Hospital (West Roxbury, MA)
- 1977-1979: Campion Center (Weston, MA)
- 1978-1985: Immaculate Conception (Cambridge, MA)
- 1981-1985: Immaculate Conception (Boston, MA)
- 1981-1985: Boston City Hospital (Boston, MA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father William Cahill:
Fr. William Cahill was ordained a priest of the New England Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) in 1946. In the first two decades of his career, Cahill taught in high schools in Connecticut, Maine, and Massachusetts. For the following two decades Cahill worked as an assistant hospital chaplain, in Michigan, and in Massachusetts. Cahill finished his tertianship within the Diocese of Albany.
According to media reports, in March 2002, several men came forward with accusations that Cahill sexually abused at least three male students at Cheverus High School in Portland, Maine in the 1950s and 1960s.
Cahill was accused of having sexually abused a freshman student in the early 1950s. One accuser said that on two occasions, the priest pinned him against the blackboard, then fondled him.
One man said in an email to the Governor’s Office, that Cahill tried to molest him, but he successfully rebuffed the attempt.
Another accuser stated in an email to the Governor’s office that a staff member found a young boy, with his pants down, tied to a chair in Cahill’s room, and that Cahill subsequently “disappeared” from Cheverus.
Cahill was never charged and died in February 1986.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Albany, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.