Father William M. Burke
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1947-1953: Queen of Peace (Kew Gardens, NY)
- 1954-1957: Cure of Ars, St. John M. Vianney (Merrick, NY)
- 1958-1960: St. Catherine of Sienna (Franklin Square, NY)
- 1961: Absent on Leave
- 1962: St. Patrick (Southold, NY)
- 1963-1968: Absent on Leave
- 1969: St. Martin (Amityville, NY)
- 1970-1974: St. Lawrence the Martyr (Sayville, NY)
- 1975-1982: St. Andrew (Sag Harbor, NY)
- 1983: Sick Leave
- 1984-1988: St. John the Evangelist (Center Moriches, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father William M Burke:
Fr. William M Burke was ordained in the Diocese of Brooklyn and worked at various parishes in the Diocese of Rockville Centre when it was established in 1957. According to media reports, in the early 1970s, while assigned to St. Lawrence the Martyr in Sayville, New York, he was accused of sexually abusing an elementary school student. In April of 2002, he was named in a lawsuit alleging that Burke molested a 14-year-old teenage boy in the early 1970s while he worked at a boarding school in Tampa, Florida.
Burke’s status as a priest, his whereabouts, and whether he had access to children from when he retired in 1989 until his death in 1995 is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.