Have you been sexually abused by a Catholic priest of the Diocese of Oakland?
We can help.
If you have been sexually abused by a Catholic priest in the Diocese of Oakland you may have an opportunity to seek justice and compensation due to the passage of a temporary suspension of the California statute of limitations for anyone sexually abused by an employee of the Diocese of Oakland. Horowitz Law is now evaluating legal claims for anyone sexually abused by anyone associated with the Diocese of Oakland. Contact us today at (888) 283-9922 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
For a very limited time, anyone sexually abused by a priest or employee associated with the Oakland Diocese can file civil lawsuits seeking justice for a lifetime of hurt and shame caused by childhood sexual abuse.
A short “window” of time, as it is often called, will allow anyone sexually abused as a child in California to file lawsuits against their perpetrators and the institutions that protected and enabled the abusers, even if the statute of limitations had previously run out. The window is now open but will only be open for a very limited time. Once the window has expired, many clergy sexual abuse claims will be forever barred.
Therefore, it is very important that you contact us today to determine your legal options against the Diocese of Oakland and anyone else who has hurt you.
Our lawyers are among the most experienced in the country in cases of clergy sexual abuse – and experience matters when bishops have the toughest lawyers in America working hard to protect their secrets.
Sexual abuse by any member of the clergy is an egregious breach of trust. Adam Horowitz is among the most experienced attorneys in the country in representing persons sexually abused by priests from the Catholic church and clergy of many other faiths. Since 2000, the lawyers of Horowitz Law have handled hundreds of clergy sexual abuse cases involving various religious institutions, including Roman Catholic dioceses and religious orders nationwide. These cases have arisen in religious school, churches/parishes, seminaries, religious counseling, retreats, schools and other activities sponsored by religious institutions.
In these cases, the lawyers of Horowitz Law have often prevailed on complex issues involving statutes of limitations, the First Amendment, and the discovery of “confidential” records that the Catholic Church has tried to conceal for nearly a century in some cases. In fighting these battles, our attorneys have became very familiar with the church’s unique hierarchy, record-keeping policies, terminology, and defense tactics, and are often called upon by colleagues to consult on these matters.
Most importantly, we have become familiar with the unique challenges and needs of survivors of clergy sexual abuse – and their families – during the legal process. Your safety and well-being are always our first priority.
Through our own investigation, our team has identified 75 clergy in the Diocese of Oakland who have been publicly accused of sexually abusing minors.
Truth is power. Through our own efforts, our lawyers have compiled what we believe is the most comprehensive list of priests, nuns, and brothers accused of sexual abuse of minors who have worked in the Diocese of Oakland, and the list is expected to grow as more survivors come forward to speak their truth. So far, we have identified 75 clergy who worked in the Diocese of Oakland who have been publicly accused of sexually abusing minors. In many cases, the men listed below were merely transferred from parish to parish after allegations arose, and left a long trail of victims across the Diocese of Oakland.
The clergy we have identified are:
- Fr. Jeffrey N. Acebo
- Br. Salvatore Billante (Salesians)
- Fr. Thomas Duong Binh-Minh
- Fr. Roberto Bravo (Dominicans)
- Fr. Vincent Breen
- Fr. Donald Broderson
- Fr. Melvin Bucher (Franciscans)
- Fr. Kenneth Cabral
- Fr. Alexander Q. Castillo
- Fr. Ricardo Chavez
- Fr. Mario Cimmarusti (Franciscans)
- Fr. James A. Clark
- Fr. Edmond Cloutier
- Fr. Phillip Colloty (Franciscans)
- Fr. Bernard Connolly (Franciscans)
- Fr. Hilary Cooper
- Fr. Virendra Coutts (Salesians)
- Fr. George E. Crespin
- Fr. Sidney Custodio
- Fr. Bernard Dabbene (Salesians)
- Msgr. Pearse P. Donovan
- Fr. Dennis Duffy (Franciscans)
- Br. Donald Eagleson (Holy Cross Brothers)
- Fr. Joseph Ferreira
- Fr. Patrick Finnegan
- Fr. J. Patrick Foley (Diocese of San Diego)
- Fr. Francis J. Ford (Franciscans)
- Msgr. George J. Francis
- Fr. Robert E. Freitas
- Br. Adrian Furman (Franciscans)
- Fr. William S. Green (Redemptorists)
- Br. Joseph (Jesse) Gutierrez Cervantes (Brothers of the Christian Schools)
- Fr. Rayner Harrington (Franciscans)
- Fr. David Johnson (Franciscans)
- Fr. Steven Kain (Franciscans)
- Fr. Stephen M. Kiesle
- Fr. Ronald Lagasse
- Fr. Francisco Tarcisio Lanuevo
- Fr. Conan Lee (Franciscans)
- Fr. Cornelius P. Leehan (Redemptorists)
- Fr. Jerold Lindner (Jesuits)
- Fr. Mark Liening (Franciscans)
- Fr. George Lopez (Franciscans)
- Fr. Luis Lopez
- Fr. Gary M. Luiz (Missionaries of the Precious Blood)
- Fr. Ruben Martinez (Oblates)
- Fr. Martin McKeon (Franciscans)
- Fr. Bede McKinnon (Franciscans)
- Fr. Daniel McLeod
- Fr. James McSorley (Oblates)
- Fr. Hector David Mendoza Vela
- Fr. Joaquin Moreno (Franciscans)
- Br. John Moriarty (Brothers of the Christian Schools)
- Br. Lawrence O’Brien (Holy Cross Brothers)
- Fr. William Odom-Green (Diocese of Owensboro)
- Fr. Cornelius Pedraig Leehan (Redemptorist Fathers)
- Fr. Robert Peguero (Franciscans)
- Fr. Alexander Pinter
- Fr. Robert Ponciroli
- Fr. Richard Presenti (Salesians)
- Fr. James E. Prindeville
- Fr. Josef Prochnow (Franciscans)
- Fr. Arthur Ribeiro
- Br. Raimond Rose (Brothers of the Christian Schools)
- Fr. Anthony Slane (Redemptorist Fathers)
- Br. Tom Thing (Franciscans)
- Fr. Gary B. Tollner
- Fr. Robert Van Handel (Franciscans)
- Fr. Michael Van Dinh
- Fr. Ramon Varela (Franciscans)
- Fr. John Vas (Salesian)
- Br. Francis Verngren (Brothers of the Christian Schools)
- Fr. Stephen Whelan (Salesians)
- Fr. Gordon Wilcox (Holy Cross Congregation)
- Br. Terrence Wong (Marianists)
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Oakland in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Oakland now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Oakland, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.