Father A. Gregory Uhrig
Diocese of Allentown (Pennsylvania)
Incardinated into Diocese of Metuchen (NJ): 1995
Placed on temporary leave from ministry: 2010
Returned to ministry: 2011
Assigned as follows:
- 1974 St. Francis of Assisi (Allentown, PA)
- 1974-1975 Allentown Central Cath. H.S./St. Elizabeth (Whitehall, PA)
- 1975 Immaculate Conception (Allentown, PA)
- 1976-1978 Reading Central Catholic High School/Holy Rosary (Reading, PA)
- 1978-1980 St. Anthony of Padua (Easton, PA)
- 1980-1981 CCD Adult Education Coordinator
- 1982-1983 St. Ursula (Fountain Hill, PA)
- 1983-1985 Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Bernardsville, PA)
- 1985-1986 St. Francis Cathedral (Diocese of Metuchen)
- 1986-1988 St. Thomas More (Allentown, PA)
- 1989 St. John the Baptist (Whitehall, PA)
- 1989-1993 CCD regional director
- 1993 Assigned to ministry in Diocese of Metuchen
- 1995 Excardinated into Diocese of Metuchen
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Gregory Uhrig:
In 2010, a 44 year old woman reported to the Diocese of Allentown that she was sexually abused by Father Gregory Uhrig as a 13 year old girl at St. Anthony of Padua in Easton, Pennsylvania. She worked in the rectory answering phones after school. Through that, as well as frequent dinner invitations to the family home, Uhrig became a close family friend. Eventually, his familiarity led to sexual contact with her over the course of four years.
Because Uhrig had already moved to the Diocese of Metuchen (NJ) at the time of the complaint, it was forwarded to the Bishop of Metuchen for review. Uhrig was removed from ministry briefly, but he appears to be doing weekend supply work throughout the Diocese still. His New Jersey parishioners have not been informed of the allegation. According to a recent public statement by the Diocese of Metuchen, the allegation was found to be not credible by both the Diocese of Allentown and the Vatican, so Uhrig was returned to ministry. However, Uhrig’s name appears on the list of credibly accused priests released by the Diocese of Allentown, which means that the Diocese review board did find the allegation credible.
Despite the fact that the grand jury was only provided one allegation to review, it appears from his assignment history that Uhrig may have been the subject of rumors and innuendo before his move to New Jersey. Based upon our experience, the move to a new diocese may itself be indicative of problems in the Allentown Diocese, though we cannot say for sure until we have been provided with a copy of Uhrig’s personnel file. Such a request would be made during the course of any lawsuit filed against the Diocese of Allentown.
Uhrig continues to minister in the Diocese of Metuchen (New Jersey).
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.