Father Gerard J. Hoffman
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Suspended from ministry: 2008
Faculties revoked: 2009
Assigned as follows:
- 1973-1976 St. Teresa of Avila (Valley Forge, PA)
- 1976 Cathedral of Ss. Peter and Paul (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1976-1988 St. Pius X High School (Pottstown, PA)
- 1976-1977 St. Basil the Great (Kimberton, PA)
- 1977-1988 St. Isaac Jogues (Wayne, PA)
- 1988-1990 St. John Neumann High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1988-1989 King of Peace (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1989-1990 St. John the Evangelist (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1990-2002 St. Mary of Providence Center
- 1990-1993 St. Pius X High School (Pottstown, PA)
- 1993-2002 Roman Catholic High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2002-2008 Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Doylestown, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Gerard Hoffman:
In July 2008, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia removed Father Gerard Hoffman from his position as pastor at Our Lady of Mount Carmel following an allegation that he sexually abused a minor child. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia offered no details about the allegation, including the age or gender of the alleged victim at the time of the abuse, exc except to say that the misconduct occurred before 1978.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s internal review deemed the allegation unsubstantiated, meaning that it did not believe the accuser.
However, during the course of its investigation, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia received a second, unrelated report of abuse by Hoffman. In February 2009, the internal review board determined that the allegation was credible and recommended Hoffman’s permanent removal from ministry. Cardinal Justin Rigali accepted the recommendation and permanently restricted Hoffman from every ministering again.
Rather than proceed with a Church trial to determine if he should be removed from the priesthood (laicization), Hoffman agreed to surrender his remaining faculties and lead a “supervised life of prayer and penance.”
He now resides at Villa St. John with other accused priests who have accepted the same “plea deal” with Church leaders. The level of their day-to-day supervision is unknown.
Hoffman is 73 years old.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Philadelphia now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.