Father Joseph Griffin
Diocese of Scranton
Assigned as follows:
- 1927: St. Matthew (East Stroudsburg, PA)
- 1927-1928: St. Andrew (Blossburg, PA)
- 1928-1929: Annunciation (Williamsport, PA)
- 1929-1932: Absent for Studies: Catholic University
- 1932-1938: Marywood College (Scranton, PA)
- 1938-1944: St. Joseph Children & Maternity Hosp. (Scranton, PA)
- 1944-1951: St. Catherine (Moscow, PA)
- 1951-1952: St. Basil (Dushore, PA)
- 1952-1967: Ss. Peter & Paul (Towanda, PA)
- 1967-1974: St. Mary (Avoca, PA)
- 1974-1976: Marian Convent (Scranton, PA)
- 1979-1980: Retired
- 1980: St. Catherine (Moscow, PA); Blessed Sacrament (Hughestown, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Joseph Griffin:
Fr. Joseph Griffin was ordained a priest in 1927 who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Scranton. According to media reports, in 2009, the Diocese received information that a 42-year-old man was sexually abused by Father Joseph Griffin in 1967. The man was 9 years old. Griffin took him and other boys to Seneca Lake, New York, and to a summer cottage on Lake Henry in the Poconos. He reported that Griffin made him share a bed and that is when the inappropriate touching occurred. He contacted the Diocese again in 2011.
Griffin died in 1988 as a priest in good standing of the Diocese of Scranton.
He was first named publicly in the 2018 PA Grand Jury Report.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.