Father Claude Bender
Diocese of Camden
Assigned as follows:
- St. Anthony Parish (Camden, NJ)
- 1966-1967: St. Ann (Wildwood, NJ)
- 1967-1970: St. Gregory (Magnolia, NJ)
- 1970-1971: Our Lady Star of the Sea (Cape May, NJ)
- 1971-1974: St. Michael (Gibbstown, NJ)
- 1974: St. Thomas More (Cherry Hill, NJ)
- 1974-1977: St. Matthew (National Park, NJ)
- 1977-1981: St. Teresa (Runnemede, NJ)
- Our Lady of Lourdes (Glassboro, NJ)
- 1984-1985: St. Michael (Atlantic City, NJ)
- 1985-1987: Queen of the Apostles (Pennsville, NJ)
- 1987-1988: Our Lady of Good Counsel (Ocean City, NJ)
- 1988-1990: St. Rose of Lima (Newfield, NJ)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Claude Bender:
In 1993, allegations against Father Claude Bender surfaced that he had abused a boy in the 1970s while he was assigned in the Diocese of Camden. The Diocese of Camden settled the claim for $25,000 in October 1993 and claims it did not learn of the allegations until after the priest was dead.
Bender was also accused of being part of John P. Kelly’s sex ring, which also allegedly included priests William Titmas, John Bernard, and Joe Shannon, which were included in a 1994 lawsuit against the Diocese of Camden. After nine years, the diocese settled the case for $880,000, admitting no wrongdoing. A total of 23 victims shared in the 2003 settlement.
Bender’s name appears on the Diocese of Camden list of credibly accused priests released in February 2019.
Bender died in 1991.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Camden in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New Jersey, contact our office today. In October 2020, the Camden Diocese filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The Court will resolve all claims of sexual abuse in this process but strict filing deadlines will apply and no late claims will be considered, so contact us today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.