Father Francis Joseph McNelis
Diocese of Allentown
Assigned as follows:
- 1965-1966: Annunciation B.V.M. (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1966: St. Joseph (Girardville, PA)
- 1966-1967: Regional Director, C.Y.O. (East Schuylkill County)
- 1967-1969: Regional Director, Thanksgiving Clothing Drive
- 1969-1970: St. Jerome (Tamaqua, PA)
- 1970: St. Theresa (Hellertown, PA)
- 1970: Regional Director, C.Y.O. (Northampton County)
- 1970-1972: St. John the Baptist (Shilington, PA)
- 1972: St. Jane Frances de Chantal (Easton, PA)
- 1972-1974: Regional Director, Thanksgiving Clothing Drive
- 1974-1975: St. Ann (Emmaus, PA)
- 1975-1980: St. Mary/St. Boniface (St. Clair, PA)
- 1980-1985: St. Mary (St. Clair, PA)
- 1985-1993: St. Mary (Hamburg, PA)
- 1993-1994: Absent on Sick Leave
- 1994-2002: St. Ignatius Loyola (Sinking Spring, PA)
- 2002: Retired
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Francis McNelis:
Fr. Francis McNelis was ordained a priest in 1965, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, in 1992, the Diocese received a report from a man that he was sexually abused by Fr. Francis McNelis between 1966 and 1968, when the boy was approximately 10-13 years old. He alleged that McNelis forced him to engage in mutual fondling and attempted to coerce him into anal sex. The mutual fondling occurred on five or six occasions.
The following year, McNelis was sent to a notorious treatment facility in Jemez Springs, New Mexico, run by the Servants of the Paraclete to serve the needs of pedophile priests. Following his stay in New Mexico, McNelis was assigned to St. Ignatius Loyola parish. According to the 2018 PA Grand Jury report, McNelis repeatedly asked to be reassigned but was ordered to stay in parish ministry by the Diocese of Allentown until his retirement in 2002.
In 2004, another victim came forward to report sexual abuse by McNelis to the Diocese of Allentown. He alleged that when he was approximately 16 years old in 1968, McNelis performed oral sex on him several times.
McNelis was the subject of two lawsuits in 2004.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.
Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org today.