Father James Monaghan
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1946-1947: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1947-1948: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1948-1952: St. Ignatius High School (San Francisco, CA)
- 1952-1955: Bellarmine College Preparatory School (San Jose, CA)
- 1955-1962: Brophy College Preparatory School (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1962-1963: St. Ignatius Parish (Sacramento, CA)
- 1963-1971: St. Ignatius High School (San Francisco, CA)
- 1971-1975: St. Clare’s (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1971-1972: Valley Medical Center (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1972-1975: Mission Convalescent Hospital (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1975-1991: St. Ignatius Parish (Sacramento, CA)
- 1992-2004: Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father James Monaghan:
Fr. James Monaghan was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1946 who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 1992, he was accused and then convicted of sexually abusing a 7-year-old girl. The abuse took place during a counseling session while Monaghan was a pastor of St. Ignatius in Sacramento, California.
Monaghan was sentenced to 5 years of probation and 120 hours of community service. He was sent to live at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California where he remained until he died in 2004.
In 2018, Monaghan was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted an allegation of abuse that took place in 1988-1989, was reported in 1992.
In 2019, Monaghan was included on the Diocese of Sacramento list. It noted an allegation of abuse of a girl younger than 14 years old in 1988-1989, was reported in 1988.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.