Father James Hurley
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1940-1941: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1941-1942: Seattle College and Seattle Preparatory High School (Seattle, WA)
- 1942-1943: Manresa (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1943-1947: Gonzaga University and High School (Spokane, WA)
- 1947-1954: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1954-1959: St. Joseph’s (Umatilla Reservation, OR)
- 1954-1959: St. Andrew’s Day School (Umatilla Reservation, OR)
- 1959-1961: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1961-1962: Jesuit High School (Portland, OR)
- 1962-1965: St. Paul’s Indian Mission (Hays, MT)
- 1962-1965: St. Thomas (Lodge Pole, MT)
- 1962-1965: St. Joseph’s (Zortman, MT)
- 1965-1967: St. Ignatius Mission (St. Ignatius, MT)
- 1967-1969: Loyola High School (Missoula, MT)
- 1969-1972: St. Michael’s Scholasticate (Spokane, WA)
- 1972-1973: Loyola High School (Missoula, MT)
- 1973-1985: St. Andrew’s Indian Mission (Pendleton, OR)
- 1987-1988: St. Anthony Hospital (Pendelton, OR)
- 1988-1996: Sacred Heart (DeSmet, ID)
- 1996-1998: Regis Jesuit Community (Spokane, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father James Hurley:
Fr. James Hurley, was a priest of the Oregon Province, ordained in 1940. He briefly served in the Diocese of San Jose, but spent most of his career on Indian Reservations in Washington State, Montana, Oregon, and Idaho. According to media reports, in 2011, Hurley’s name was included on the Oregon Province’s list of its members who have been identified as perpetrators of sexual abuse.
In 2018, his name was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2009 in reference to abuse of a minor that took place in the late 1950s and 1966-1967. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims or the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Hurley died in 1998.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.