Father James Thomas Monaghan
- 1946-1947: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1947-1948: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1948-1952: St. Ignatius High School (San Francisco, CA)
- 1952-1955: Bellarmine College Preparatory School (San Jose, CA)
- 1955-1962: Brophy College Preparatory School (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1962-1963: St. Ignatius Church (Sacramento, CA)
- 1963-1971: St. Ignatius High School (San Francisco, CA)
- 1971-1975: St. Clare’s (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1975-1991: St. Ignatius Parish (Sacramento, CA)
- 1992-2004: Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father James T Monaghan:
Fr. James T Monaghan was a California Province Jesuit that worked as a high school teacher, counselor, and parish priest throughout his 58-year career. According to media reports, Monaghan was accused in 1992 of molesting a 7-year-old girl during a counseling session between 1988-1989 at St. Ignatius Parish in Sacramento, California.
The young girl had been undergoing counseling by Monaghan when he molested her as she sat on his lap. According to court records, Monaghan continued to deny that the incident ever took place but pleaded no contest to charges related to the accusation at his lawyer’s request. He was sentenced in Sacramento Superior Court to 120 hours of community service and five years’ probation.
Monaghan was sent to live at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, CA, in 1992, where he remained until he died in 2004.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Sacramento in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Sacramento now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.