Father John Hewetson
Diocese of Paterson/Franciscan Friars
Assigned as follows:
- 1930-1933: Our Lady of Victories (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1934-1939: St. Cecilla (Rockaway, NJ)
- 1940-1942: St. Joseph (Paterson, NJ)
- 1943-1944: St. Bartholomew (Lafayette, NJ); St. James the Apostle (Montague, NJ); St. Thomas the Apostle (Hainesville, NJ)
- 1945-1950: St. Joseph (Lincoln Park, NJ)
- 1951-1952: St. Joseph (Newton, NJ)
- 1953: St. George (Paterson, NJ)
- 1953-1954: St. Vincent de Paul (Stirling, NJ)
- 1955-1963: St. Joseph (Mendham, NJ)
- 1964-1966: St. Michael (Netcong, NJ)
- 1967: St. Paul (Clifton, NJ)
- 1968-1972: Absent on Leave
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Hewetson:
Fr. John Hewetson was ordained a priest in 1930. He worked in various parishes throughout his career. In 1968, he took a leave of absence and retired in 1973.
In February 2019, Hewetson’s name first appeared publicly on the Diocese of Paterson’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. The lengthy list indicated there were multiple allegations against Hewetson, but the Diocese of Paterson did not provide any information on the allegations regarding the age/gender of the victims, or Hewetson’s assignment(s) at the time of the abuse allegations.
Hewetson died in 1987.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Paterson. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Paterson, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Paterson now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.