Father John Madaj
Diocese of Scranton
Assigned as follows:
- 1939-1944: Nativity (Plymouth, PA)
- 1944-1946: St. Mary (Wilkes-Barre, PA)
- 1946: St. Hedwig (Kingston, PA)
- 1946-1950: St. Adalbert (Glen Lyon, PA)
- 1950-1955: St. Joseph (Morris Run, PA)
- 1955-1970: Sacred Heart (Forest City, PA)
- 1970-1984: Transfiguration (West Hazleton, PA)
- 1984-1985: St. Mary of Czestochowa (Eynon, PA)
- 1985-1989: Ss. Peter and Paul (Scranton, PA)
- 1989-1998: Pastor Emeritus, Ss. Peter and Paul (Scranton, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John Madaj:
Father John Madaj was ordained a priest in 1939, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Scranton. According to media reports, in late 1952, the pastor of St. Joseph received two anonymous letters stating that Father John Madaj was having an affair with the author’s housekeeper. Nothing in the file reviewed by the grand jury indicated any action was taken in response to the letters.
In 1990, the parents of a 19 year old young man wrote to the Diocese of Scranton to report that that their son was molested by Madaj when the boy was 9 or 10 years old. Madaj denied the allegation. As a result, then-Bishop James Timlin took no action except to tell the parents to bring their son to a therapist and arrange a meeting with Madaj to discuss the allegation with him directly.
Madaj died a priest in good standing with an active assignment in 1998.
In 2018, he was first named publicly as accused in the PA Grand Jury Report.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.