Father John R. Butler
Diocese of Trenton
Ordained: 1957 (Diocese of Richmond)
Assigned in New Jersey: 1970-2002
Removed from Ministry: 2002
Assigned as Follows:
- 1957-1958 Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Richmond, VA)
- 1958-1960 St Mary Star-of-the-Sea (Fort Monroe, VA)
- 1960-1961 St Peter’s Catholic Church (Richmond, VA)
- 1961-1965 St Joseph’s (Kings Park, NY)
- 1966 Not indexed in the 1966 Directory
- 1966-1968 On duty outside the diocese of Richmond at an unspecified location
- 1968-1969 missions at Our Lady of the Valley (Petersberg, WV) and Our Lady of Grace (Grace, WV)
- 1969-1970 St Paul’s Catholic Church (Richmond, VA)
- 1970-1974 SS. Philip and James (Phillipsburg, NJ)
- 1974-1975 St Barnabas Catholic Church (Bayville, NJ)
- 1975-1978 St Thomas the Apostle School (Old Bridge, NJ)
- 1978-1979 St Robert Bellarmine (Freehold, NJ)
- 1980 Not indexed in the 1980 Directory
- 1979-1984 St John Vianney (Colonia, NJ) and East Rahway State Prison
- 1985-1986 Not indexed in the 1985 or 1986 Directory
- 1986-2002 St John Vianney (Colonia, NJ)
- 2003 Not indexed in the 2003 Directory
Summary of Abuse Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John R. Butler:
In April 2002, the Diocese of Metuchen (New Jersey) confirmed that Rev. John R. Butler, associate pastor of St. John Vianney parish, had to take a leave of absence due to allegations of inappropriate conduct with a minor in the late 1950’s. The Diocese of Metuchen said that someone called them with allegations of abuse and had already contacted an attorney’s office in New York. The caller said that he had been calling church officials and making allegations for years, but nobody did anything about it.
According to a grand jury investigation of the Diocese of Rockville Centre (New York), during the time of Father John R. Butler’s assignments in New York, he sexually molested over a dozen boys.
Despite complaints about Butler that apparently spanned over 35 years, he was simply transferred and continued to work as a priest until 2002, when he retired.
The Diocese of Metuchen has settled one legal claim involving Butler. His name does not appear on the Diocese of Metuchen’s or Diocese of Trenton’s lists of credibly accused priests.
Butler’s whereabouts are unknown, but he is believed to be alive and residing in New Jersey. He is in his late 80s.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Metuchen. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New Jersey, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Metuchen, now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or email@example.com.