Father Joseph Alzugaray
Diocese of Santa Rosa
- 1967-1971: Immaculate Conception (Monrovia, CA)
- 1972-1974: St. Finbar Church (Burbank, CA)
- 1975: Holy Trinity (San Pedro, CA)
- 1975: St. Bartholomew
- 1975: Society for the Propagation of the Faith
- 1976: Holy Name of Jesus (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1976: Catholic Big Brothers
- 1977-1981: St. Mary Magdalen (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1977-1978: Holy Name of Jesus (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1979: St. Patrick (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1982-1983: St. Brendan (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1984: Society for the Propagation of the Faith
- 1985: St. Kevin (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1986-1989: Unknown
- 1990-1991: All Souls (Alhambra, CA)
- 1992-1994: St. Martin of Tours (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1995-2010: Unknown
- 2011-2013: Retired
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Joseph Alzugaray:
Fr. Joseph Alzugaray was ordained a priest in 1967, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Santa Rosa. According to media reports, in 2004, he was accused in a lawsuit of sexually abusing an 8-year-old girl in the 1960s at Immaculate Conception School in Monrovia, California. In response, Alzugaray sued the alleged survivor and the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) for libel. Much of Alzugaray’s lawsuit was dismissed.
In 2009, the Diocese of Santa Rosa Review Board recommended that Msgr. Alzugaray be removed from ministry, but the request was rejected, and he remained in ministry with direct oversight responsibility for a Catholic high school. Fr. Alzugaray retired in 2011.
He was publicly named on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. Alzugaray died in 2014 in Utah. His status as a priest, whereabouts, and whether he had access to children from 2011 until his death, is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Santa Rosa in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Santa Rosa now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Santa Rosa, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or email@example.com to discuss your options today.