Father Jules Convert
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1937-1941: Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1941-1942: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1942-1945: St. Theresa Church (Hooper Bay, AK)
- 1945-1947: Sacred Heart Mission (Kashunak, AK)
- 1948-1949: Sacred Heart Mission (Chevak, AK)
- 1949-1954: St. Michael’s Mission (St. Michael, AK)
- 1954-1956: Holy Cross Mission (Holy Cross, AK)
- 1956-1967: St. Teresa’s Church (Kaltag, AK)
- 1967-1968: Immaculate Conception Church (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1968-1969: St. Ann’s Church (Teller, AK)
- 1969-1970: Little Flower of Jesus Church (Katlag, AK)
- 1970-1973: St. Mary’s Mission (St. Mary’s AK)
- 1973-1979: Church of the Nativity (St. Mary, AK)
- 1979: Returned to the Province of France
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Jules Convert:
Fr. Jules Convert was ordained a Jesuit priest in France. For decades, he served in Alaskan villages along the Yukon River, and briefly worked in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, he was accused in a 2003 lawsuit of having sexually abused four altar boys, who were 6 to 15 years old, between 1972 and 1977. Each alleged victim said the abuse occurred during overnight stays at the priest’s St. Mary’s residence.
By 2004, there were a total of 16 men that had come forward with accusations that Convert sexually abused them as children in villages along the Yukon River. All of them said the priest would invite them to spend the night as a special privilege, then he would molest them while they slept. In 2004, accusations emerged from two more men stating that Convert sexually abused them as children in Alaska, bringing the total of accusers to 18. By 2011, there were 19 legal claims of abuse by Convert. In 2012, the Diocese of Fairbanks website listed Convert as having 37 reports of abuse against him.
In 2018, Fr. Convert was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted an allegation reported in 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2009 that took place in 1954-1960, 1961-1963, 1966-1969, and 1970-1978.
Fr. Convert died in 1995.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.