Father Louis Ladenburger
Diocese of Phoenix
Placed on Leave: 1993
Removed from ministry: 1996
Assigned as Follows:
- 1964-1965 St. Mary of the Assumption (Stockton, CA)
- 1964-1965 St. Benedict of the Moor Center (Stockton, CA)
- 1965-1967 St. Mary’s High School (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1967-1968 Salem Catholic High School (Salem, OR)
- 1968-1971 Holy Cross Retreat House (Mesilla Park, NM)
- 1972-1974 St. Mary of the Assumption (Stockton, CA)
- 1972-1974 St. Benedict the Moor Center (Stockton, CA)
- 1975-1979 Mary Queen of Heaven (Sprague, WA)
- 1980-1984 St. George’s (Seattle, WA)
- 1984-1985 St. Francis of Assisi (Sacramento, CA)
- 1985-1988 St. John’s (Overton, NV)
- 1988-1989 Christ the King Church (Reno, NV)
- 1990-1992 Franciscan Renewal Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
- 1992-1993 St. Mary’s Basilica (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1992-1993 St. Joan of Arc (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1993 St. Mary’s High School (Phoenix, AZ)
- 2006-2007 Elk Mountain Academy (Clark Fork, ID)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Louis Ladenburger:
Father Louis Ladenburger was a Franciscan Friar who also worked as a licensed marriage and family counselor and a chemical dependency therapist. Ladenburger was “treated” twice in the 1980’s for what the Franciscans called “inappropriate professional behavior and relationships” with his patients. He was allowed to return to ministry both times.
In 1993, Ladenburger’s Order restricted his clergy privileges after a third psychological evaluation prompted by a “heightened concern and new awareness of abuse issues,” according to documents in his file. He later refused the restrictions and went on a leave of absence.
Ladenburger left the Order in 1996, according to published reports.
In September of 2006, Ladenburger was hired as a therapist by an Idaho school for high-risk teenage boys. A year later, he was fired after two boys accused him of sexual abuse, according to news reports. He admitted to abusing one of the boys and was arrested and charged with three counts of sexual battery of a minor. In a plea agreement, he pled guilty to one count of felony sexual misconduct and was sentenced up to five years in prison.
Ladenburger’s name appears on the Seattle Archdiocese list of accused clergy as well as Las Cruces Diocese’s list. The Diocese of Las Vegas and the Santa Barbara Province of Franciscans Friars also included him on their respective lists.
A new accusation was made in May of 2018, alleging sexual abuse of a minor in 1973. It was reported to the Diocese of Stockton and stemmed from Landenburger’s time at St. Mary of the Assumption.
Ladenburger is now believed to be living in Bakersfield, CA.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Arizona, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix now have legal options to recover damages due to a change in Arizona laws. Contact us toll-free at (888) 283-9922 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today.