Father Thomas Sullivan
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1944-1945: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1945-1946: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1946-1947: Loyola University (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1947-1955: Manresa Retreat House (Azusa, CA)
- 1955-1960: Loyola High School (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1960-1963: University of Santa Clara (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1962-1966: University of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- 1966-1969: Jesuit Curia (Rome, Italy)
- 1969-1978: University of Hawaii Newman Center (Oahu, HI)
- 1978-1992: Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Thomas Sullivan:
Fr. Thomas Sullivan was ordained a priest in 1944 who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, in 2002, he was accused of child sexual abuse that occurred in 1953 while he was assigned to Manresa Retreat House in Azusa, California. In 2003, he was named in a lawsuit filed by a former student from Loyola High School in Los Angeles, who claimed Sullivan sexually abused him from 1956-1958.
Sullivan’s name was included on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles 2004 list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted there were a total of three accusers who reported abuse by Sullivan from 1952-1958.
In 2018, Sullivan’s name was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted sexual abuse reported in 2009 that occurred from 1956-1958. Information about the age/gender or the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Fr. Sullivan died in 1992.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.