Father William M. Burke
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1947-1953 Queen of Peace (Kew Gardens, NY)
- 1954-1957 Cure of Ars, St. John M. Vianney (Merrick, NY)
- 1958-1960 St. Catherine of Sienna (Franklin Square, NY)
- 1961 Absent on Leave
- 1962 St. Patrick (Southold, NY
- 1963-1968 Absent on Leave
- 1969 St. Martin (Amityville, NY)
- 1970-1974 St. Lawrence the Martyr (Sayville, NY)
- 1975-1982 St. Andrew (Sag Harbor, NY)
- 1983 Sick Leave
- 1984-1988 St. John the Evangelist (Center Moriches, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father William M. Burke:
Father William M. Burke was ordained in the Diocese of Brooklyn and worked at various parishes in the Diocese of Rockville Centre when it was established in 1957. According to media reports, in the early 1970s, while assigned to St. Lawrence the Martyr in Sayville, New York, he was accused of sexually abusing an elementary school student. In April of 2002, he was named in a lawsuit alleging that Father Burke molested a teenage boy in 1987 while he worked at a boarding school in Tampa, Florida.
His status as a priest, whereabouts, and whether he had access to children from when he retired in 1989 until his death in 1995 are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.