Monsignor Joseph Sharpe
Diocese of Orange
Assigned as follows:
- 1944 Holy Name of Jesus (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1944 Transfiguration (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1945-1946 U.S Navy Chaplain
- 1946 Visitation Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1947-1949 St. Agnes’ (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1950-1952 Catholic University (Washington D.C.)
- 1952 Our Lady of Guadalupe (Hammel) Catholic Girls’ School ( Los Angeles, CA)
- 1953 St. Timothy (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1954 St. Emydius (Lynwood, CA)
- 1955-1958 Pius X High School (Hollydale, CA)
- 1959 Unknown
- 1960 Cathedral Chapel (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1961-1964 Christ the King (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1965-1974 Santa Clara’s Church (Santa Clara, CA)
- 1977-1978 St. John the Baptist (Costa Mesa, CA)
- 1979-1981 Our Lady Queen of the Angels (Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar,California)
- 1978-1998 St. John Vianney ( Balboa Island, Newport Beach, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor Joseph Sharpe:
Monsignor Joseph Sharpe was ordained a priest in 1943, who served in the Diocese of Orange. According to media reports, at least two survivors have come forward alleging he sexually abused them as children between approximately 1958 and 1964. In 1971, a survivor wrote to Archbishop Manning and alleged that his confessor Monsignor Sharpe sexually abused him while he was a junior in high school.
That same year, two sisters informed the Los Angeles archdiocese that Monsignor Sharpe engaged in an “improper relationship” with them. The Archdiocese Personnel Board forced Monsignor Sharpe to resign in 1973 for “various personal problems” and undisclosed “job performance issues.” Shortly after his forced resignation, Monsignor Sharpe was incardinated in June 1976 into the Diocese of Orange.
Monsignor Sharpe retired in 1998 and died in November 1999. He was named in a 2003 civil lawsuit. He was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ 2004 list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. His personnel file was released in January 2013.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Orange in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Orange now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at (888) 283-9922 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options today.