Fr. Daniel Paul Lemoine
Diocese of Baton Rouge
Placed on leave: 1994
Priestly faculties removed: 1999
Assigned as follows:
- Seminarian Summer Internship St. Philomena Catholic Church (Labadieville, LA)
- Deacon Internship St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church (Pierre Part, LA)
- St. Jean Vianney Church (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Holy Family Catholic Church “in residence” (Port Allen, LA)
- Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church (White Castle, LA)
- Sacred Heart of Jesus Church (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (Denham Springs, LA)
- St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church (Pierre Part, LA)
- Our Lady of Mercy “in residence” (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Chaplain at Baton Rouge General Hospital (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Chaplain at Earl K. Long Hospital (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Chaplain at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center (Baton Rouge, LA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Daniel Paul Lemoine:
Fr. Daniel Paul Lemoine was ordained a priest in 1979, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Baton Rouge. According to media reports, in March 2019, Fr. Lemoine was named on the Diocese of Baton Rouge’s list of clergy members who have been credibly accused of abuse within the Diocese of Baton Rouge or in other dioceses across the country. The Diocese received multiple allegations of abuse against Fr. Lemoine: October 1994, April 1999, and April 2007.
The abuse was said to have occurred between the late 1970’s and early 1980’s when Fr. Lemoine was assigned to the following locations: Our Lady of Mercy (Baton Rouge, LA), St. Joseph the Worker (Pierre Part, LA), and St. Philomena (Labadieville, LA). No further information was released about the gender/age of the victim or the number of people who have come forward. Fr. Lemoine was placed on administrative leave in 1994, and his priestly faculties were removed in 1999.
In 1999, a lawsuit was filed on behalf of a man who claims that he was abused by Fr. Lemoine when he was teenager. Neither the victim nor Fr. Lemoine were publicly named; however, according to media reports, anonymous sources named Fr. Lemoine as the subject of the allegations. The Diocese of Baton Rouge settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed amount. After learning of the settlement, District Attorney, Doug Moreau, launched an investigation into the alleged abuse.
According to media accounts, as of 2019 Fr. Lemoine still resides in Baton Rouge, LA.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Louisiana, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge may now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Louisiana and nationwide. We can help.