Archdiocese of Washington/Jesuits
Assigned as follows:
- 1960 – 1961 Jesuit College Preparatory School (Dallas, TX)
- 1961 – 1962 Bishop’s Latin School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1962 – 1963 Fordham University (New York, NY)
- 1963 – 1982 Loyola Blakefield (Towson, MD)
- 1982 – 1983 Central Catholic High School (Wheeling, WV)
- 1983 – 1990 Wheeling Jesuit College (Wheeling, WV)
- 1990 – 1991 Jesuit House of Prayer (Hot Springs, NC)
- 1991 – 1992 Saints Peter & Paul (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1992 – 1994 Corpus Christi Pastoral Center (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1994 – 1996 St. Charles Lwanga Parish (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1996 – 2002 Loyola Blakefield (Towson, MD)
- 2002 – 2004 Jesuit Community of St. Isaac Jogues (Wernersville, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Robert Cullen:
In March 2007, in testimony before the Maryland legislature, a woman stated that Father Robert Cullen sexually abused her for several years in the 1960s when she was in elementary school. She said her mother reported the abuse to the Archdiocese repeatedly beginning in the late 1960s, and to her own brother, the Jesuit priest Leo Daly, s.j. No action was taken. Her mother reported it again sometime after 1982, to the Jesuit priest Allen P. Novotny, s.j.,—who later became president of Gongaza High School in Washington DC, and again, no action was taken.
According to media reports, both Daly and Novotny acknowledge that they received the reports but never took any action that would publicly identify Father Robert Cullen as a predator priest—or that would restrict him from contact with minors and the Catholic faithful.
In February 2005, Cullen died.
In February 2019, Father Cullen’s name appeared on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
In December 2019, Father Cullen’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors since 1950.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Washington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at (888) 283-9922 or send an email to email@example.com to discuss your options today.